A key to having your skin look seemingly flawless is EXFOLIATING!!!
What is exfoliation, some of you may ask? Exfolation is the treatment of buffing and removing dead skin cells. With the dead skin cells removed, you will definitely notice that your skin has a smooth and silky feel to it!
How often do you have to exfoliate? You should exfoliate no more than twice a week. Too much exfoliation can definitely irritate your skin, and that’s the last thing you want to do while trying to improve your skin.
Where can I get it done? Does it cost a lot of money? Exfoliating is probably one of the most cheapest and cost efficient treatment you can give your face! You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars at the dermatologist and the spa…it can be done in the comfort of your own bathroom! You could spend up to $20, depending on the product brand you choose to use.
How do I exfoliate? The steps are as easy as 1…2…3. I’ll explain a few different ways of exfoliating and getting your skin looking at its best!
- One of the most important steps prior to exfoliating is to WASH YOUR HANDS!! Since you will be using your hands to apply the product, you don’t want to introduce any bacteria or germs from your hands to your face.
- Make sure that the product you choose to use is specifically for your FACE and not your BODY. Some people assume that since it’s a scrub, it’s ok to use it wherever. A body scrub is too harsh to use on your delicate face…which will in turn cause irritation.
- Try not to apply too much. To get an idea of how much to apply, imagine the size of a quarter. More than that would just be wasting the product.
- Gently apply the scrub onto your face, DO NOT vigorously rub it not. Try using light circular motions in applying it. Remember- you don’t want to irritate your skin and the skin on your face is one of the most sensitive areas on your body.
- If you have a mask, let it sit for about 10 minutes– 15 the most. Then rinse it off. If it is a scrub, do circular motions for about a minute or two, then rinse it off.
- Last but not least, MOISTURIZE!! Moisturizing is so important, whether you exfoliate or not. But if you are going to exfoliate regularly, make it your duty to moisturize because your skin can get dry, flaky, and even worse…bring on WRINKLES! YIKES!
Here are a few suggestions on some products you can try:
- St. Ives
- H2O Spa
- Burt’s Bees
- Clean & Clear
All of those are affordable and can be found at Target, Walmart, or your local pharmacy. You can also check Sephora or a Clinique counter for other choices.
I hope this helps you if you were unsure about exfoliating! Enjoy your new bright, silky smooth skin :-)!
Written By: Ashlyn Morovee
Disclaimer: All views expressed in this post is that of the author and not BLACK STREET entirely.